Friday, November 4, 2011

The Case of the Flattering Flat

From Samantha, a tall girl:

Am I going to be taller than him if I wear these?

Sam Edelman Lyla Women's Leopard Platform Ankle Strap Heel
If you're tall, you've asked yourself this question countless times while getting dressed for a date. Some women don't seem to mind being taller than their male counterparts, but for others (like me!) it can feel awkward and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I love to wear a pair of heels or wedges and don't mind towering over the general public, but give me a date who is suddenly shorter than me when I slip on my pumps, and I'm like an awkward, baby giraffe, not wanting to stand at my full height.



From Moni, a tall girl (and tomboy at heart):

Is it possible to be a fashionista in flats?



I am not a heel, pump, or stiletto fanatic; not because I'm afraid of towering over people (I get a big kick out of it, actually) but because it's just not in my genetic makeup to enjoy heels. I'm 5'10".  My first boyfriend was (maybe) 5'6".  I played sports for several years, and I barely knew what a skirt was in middle school, much less the splendor that awaited me in my 20s; learning the magic of finding a flirty, more openly feminine style that was all my own and finally leaving the over-sized, college basketball tee's, wide leg jeans, and sneakers behind (can you tell I was a tomboy in the 90's?).   I was the girl who scoffed at other girls who cared so much about their physical appearance while secretly adoring movies like Clueless.   That's right.  I wanted to wear mini skirts and thigh highs too, but it just wasn't in me.



Even when I'm in a hyper-femme mood, a 2-3" wedge heel, mary jane or t-strap heel, and booties appeal more to me than a razor thin 4-inch pump.  The formers provide a little lift with support sans ankle or knee agitation if worn for an extended period of time, while the latter looks like a nightmare wrapped in the guise of patent leather or beautiful fabric. 
--
Samantha and I know we're not the only ones with these shoe-qualms, which brings us to the focal point of this post:  If you want dressy, comfortable flats (for that hot, average-height date or when you're just not in the mood for pumps) Feet First Stores is your source of inspiration!

If you follow that cleverly-inserted link, it'll take you directly to our entire selection of flats, but just for good measure, I wanted to plug in a few personal picks:
The Nina Jaxine Women's Dress Flat in Zebra
Why I adore it:  I'm usually not a big fan of animal prints, but when these babies arrived in the store, I had to try them on!  I looked into the nearest mirror and beheld a flat that's not just cute or comfortable but really stylish AND comfortable.  I could go to a wedding or another formal occasion in these and not feel at all underdressed - miracles do happen!

The Libby Edelman Kendra Women's Bow Flat Shoe in Snake

Why I adore it:  Big sashes and bows, lace, silk, and jeweled ornaments always make me think of one person: Marie Antoinette.  Although she reached an untimely end, at least she went out in style ;) You can add an extra hint of could-I-get-any-girlier? while rocking a flat, comfortable shoe!

The Chocolat Blu Nancy Women's Dress Flat
Why I adore it:  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for new spins on classics, and the Nancy by Chocolat Blu fits the bill. With its diagonal, elastic strap detail, rounded toe-point, and patent leather upper, it's like the ballet flat all-grown-up!

Haven't gotten your fill yet?  Feast your eyes on all the fabulous dress flats Feet First Stores has in stock, and grab a pair of your own today!

Happy Shopping! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment